Home made Sun In (hair lightener)


Ahhh, summer. The lazy days. Pools. The lake. Shorts. The tans.Nothing says "I spent a week lounging on a fabulous beach while you were stuck in the office" more than sun streaked highlights in your hair.

It's easy to replicate those delicate highlights even if all you have is the afternoon pulling weeds in your garden. My grandmother swore that adding lemon juice to the final rinse of my hair would make my blonde hair even blonder. Later, I tried the commercial product Sun In and drove with the top of my convertible down. It worked a little too well and I ended up looking like Billy Idol, complete with not so blonde roots.

Billy Idol.  Fun to listen to, but not great to look like .



As my hair has darkened over the years, I found the commercial products would end up leaving me with more of an orange striped look than the light blonde highlights I craved. So it was back to revisit Grandma's idea. I make my own highlight spray using lemon juice and water. Just spray it in to slightly damp hair and comb through. Avoid saturating the scalp because it can make your scalp sensitive. Then go outside and enjoy the day by the pool. Or the garden. Either way works for me. The sunlight works with the lemon juice to accelerate the natural highlighting effects of the sun.

Homemade Sun-In

1/4 cup lemon juice. Fresh is best.
1/2 cup water.

Put in a spray bottle, spritz it in to slightly damp hair and comb through. Avoid saturating the scalp because it can make your scalp sensitive. Then go outside and enjoy the day by the pool. Or the garden. Either way works for me. The sunlight works with the lemon juice to accelerate the natural highlighting effects of the sun.

Then go back to work and make all your co-workers jealous.






Comments