Home made pet stain remover

As if my life wasn't chaotic enough, we decided to add a new puppy to the mix. Meet Rhett, our now 12 week old yorkie.
He's quite the charmer, isn't he?


But with puppies come accidents.  We are crate training, but every once in awhile he gets out from our view and leaves a little present for us to find.   To discourage him from going back and remarking the area, I needed a stain/smell remover.  There are some great commercial products out there, but I wanted one that I could make myself so I could always have it on hand.

After scouring the webs, I found one that was easy to make, cheap and has worked well for me.

Urine Remover Recipe
1 cup Hydrogen Peroxide
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 drop liquid hand soap

Mix in a plastic bottle (I used a recycled water bottle).  After blotting up the mess, saturate the area with the solution (you want to make sure it gets all the way down in to the pad).   Allow the solution to sit for a few minutes, then blot dry.  Vacuum area when completely dry.  I've also been told it works well in little steam cleaners (Bissel Little Green, Spot Bot).  

Hydrogen Peroxide shouldn't bleach your carpet, but you may want to try it in an inconspicuous spot first (the back of your closet...)  The solution doesn't keep well, so you may have to make up new batches every couple of days.




Comments

ZiggyFlo said…
I have a Hoover Steam Cleaner. I have light gray carpets. They are getting old and regardless of how much I've cleaned them, they felt clean but still looked dull.

One day I tried straight hydrogen peroxide on them. Wonders! They are so much brighter now! Also, I'm assured all the 'icky stuff' has been killed, as well as any lingering odors. Another plus? No scent! So many carpets solutions are so heavily scented, they are over whelming.

I wouldn't recommend using soap as that would create too much foam nor would I use the baking soda as soda would clog up your machine & be caustic to the mechanical parts it runs through.
Note: Test on a hidden area of your carpet first!!! Also, run clear water through your machine after you use the peroxide. Through the whole system, not just rinsing the containers.

Soaking plastic kitchen storage containers in pure peroxide also works to brighten them and kill lingering odors. For stubborn odors or very dull containers, soak over night.
Donna's Daze said…
The only thing I would be worried about is that hydrogen peroxide can "bleach out" colored carpets, especially if you don't get all the water out of the carpet with your machine. I learned that the hard way!

Another good way to deodorize carpets is to use vinegar in the rinse water. It stinks while you are using it, but when it dries all the odors are gone.
Unknown said…
Hi, we have just got a yorkie pup ho looks very much like your Rhett! Do you have any updated pics of him? I'd love to see how our Teddy could turn out