Resolutions, Smesolutions! Making changes that I can live with.


It's that time of year again. Time to look back over what we did and list all the things we'd like to change. If you are like me (and most other people I would guess), you make grandiose resolutions that are bound for the failure pile before the confetti hits the ground.

"I'm going to lose 50 pounds by summer."
"I'm going to have a spotless house so that 'House Beautiful' can stop by any old time."
"I'm going to learn to cook (craft, sew, play the guitar) so well that Martha Stewart will start asking ME for tips."

Any of that sound familiar to you?

Why do we do that to ourselves? Maybe it's because I'm getting older (and therefore, wiser) but it finally dawned on me the other day that I didn't get to be this neurotic, messy, overweight, disorganized person overnight. No pity sound bite is going to fix me overnight, either.

So this year, instead of Resolutions, I'm thinking more in terms of Promises to myself.

  • This year, I promise to laugh more often.
  • I promise to take a few moments every day to just 'Be' in the moment.
  • I promise to look in the mirror every day and see the person I have become, instead of the person I think I should be.
  • I promise find at least one good reason every day to really smile.
  • And I promise every day to say 'Thank You' for having had each day.


Comments