"Not So Refried" Beans



I love Mexican food in case you've never noticed... One of my favorite parts of a good Mexican meal is the refried beans.  In fact, the quality of the refried beans and rice is one of the ways I judge the authenticity of a restaurant.

Consequently, I can't stand the refried beans that come in the cans.  They are too thick and pasty for my taste.

Beans are naturally low in fat and good for you.  But to get that "just right" taste, most recipes  call for either  either lard or bacon fat to get that creamy texture and taste. I'm trying to reduce my overall fat intake, so  I wanted a way to reduce the fat, but still get most of the flavor of the authentic style.   Here's what I do.


Not So Refried Beans

2 cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed.
1/4 cup Chicken broth
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup reduced fat or fat free cheddar cheese
Salt and Pepper or Adobo Seasoning (to taste)

Place the beans in a sauce pan with approximately 1/4 cup of the chicken broth.  Heat over medium flame until beans and liquid start to bubble.  Stir in the garlic and continue to heat for another 5 minutes.  Add  cheese and stir till melted completely.

Place bean mixture in food processor and blend to desired consistency in short pulses.  The kids like it smooth, but I like some larger pieces or even a few whole beans left in there (you can reserve a bit while you are processing and then add them back in at the end. Mix in a small amount of either the salt and pepper or the adobo seasoning to taste.

If the mix is too thick, add more chicken broth  a teaspoon or so at a time.  If it's too thin, you can put it back in the sauce pan and heat until it reduces slightly.  Serve warm.  Top with a sprinkle of additional cheese or salsa if desired. 




Comments