4th of July

The 4th of July is always busy at our house. Besides being the birthday of our country, it also happens to be my mother's birthday. When she was little, my grandmother had her convinced that the fireworks were a special present just for her! As a child, who wouldn't want to believe that such a spectacular display was put on in your honor? I know I would have loved it!

Now a days, she prefers a much smaller celebration. This year, instead of the traditional hot dogs and hamburgers, we did a Mexican feast of Carne Asada, rice, beans, guacamole, chips and salsa. Yum!!

My youngest daughter, the Diva, was thrilled because she finally got a chance to use the ice cream maker we gave to my mom a couple of years ago. She contributed to the meal by making homemade cherry-vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips.


Afterwards, the girls played with sparklers and pop-it's on the front steps.


It doesn't get dark around here until very late, around 9:30. We had already headed home by that time. Just in time to see the fireworks display by one of our neighbors. That is one of the coolest things about living in a small town...One person sets things up, and the whole neighborhood brings out their chairs and enjoys the show.




I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July.

Comments