Diva, my youngest daughter, has been after me to make something for her "Very Expensive Dolls". Now my sewing skills are pretty much limited to a straight line, but I wanted to make her happy. She has pages and pages of outfits she as designed for them, all categorized by season (I know, I know... I'm in for trouble with her...)
One of the things she had was an apron. Ah ha!! Something I might be able to manage. I dug through my meager stack of fabric, left over from the days when I thought I might actually learn to sew cute little dresses, and found some fun prints. We took some measurements and came up with the following pattern:
Cut 1- 9 1/2 x 6 1/2 rectangle
1- 30- inch piece
1- 10 inch piece
Fold the fabric edges 1/4 inch on each side and press. Fold again 1/2 inch and press again. Pin if desired (the steam pressing seemed to be all that was needed on these small pieces.)
Next, sew each edge close to folded edge. We used a straight stitch, but a zig zag stitch would work as well.
We then embroidered the names of her "Very Expensive Dolls" near the top of the rectangle. This is an optional step, but one that was part of Diva's design.
Next, we took the 30 inch ribbon and attached it centered on the rectangle (short width). We stitched along the top and bottom edge. A decorative stitch would have been cute here, too.
Finally, we attached the shorter piece of ribbon at the top edge of the apron, securing both ends with a zig-zag stitch.
Viola..... Two more helpers for kitchen duty!
For more about aprons, visit: The Apron Goddess