School is about to start back in our neck of the woods. And rather than do my normal Menu Plan Monday, I thought I would do something a little bit different and create a list of some alternative lunches for back to school lunch boxes. While there is nothing wrong with good old PB&J (especially if it is on whole wheat bread, with organic peanut butter and home made jam), it does get a little boring day after day.
So I polled my kiddos and asked them to give me a list of some alternatives. That didn't work out too well... however; mickey d run's every day will NOT be on our menu this year, nor will spending outrageous amounts on the dubious mystery meat of the school cafeterias.
So it became quickly evident it was going to be up to me to come up with healthy, yet edible, alternatives for their lunch boxes. This is my list so far:
- Italian Turkey Wrap- A tortilla filled with turkey, provolone, onion and spinach.
- Hummus- with pita bread, carrots and celery.
- Mini Hero Sandwiches - hot dog buns filled with meat and cheese.
- Lunch in a Loaf- little pastries stuffed with just about anything, that go from freezer to lunch box.
- Taco Chicken Soup- Good on a cold day. Serve with a side of cheese and chips.
I admit, I am already dreading the whine of "that again...." So, I'm open to suggestions. Ladies, throw them at me, please!
For more menu plans, this week go to The Happy Housewife .