Menu Plan Monday 8/31/09


Meal plan for the week:

Monday- Kung Pao Chicken with rice
Tuesday- Crock Pot Roast with mashed potatoes
Wednesday- Chicken Enchiladas, rice and beans
Thursday- Homemade Buffalo Chicken Pizza, Caesar Salad
Friday- Meatloaf, corn, biscuits
Saturday- Breakfast for dinner: waffles
Sunday- Fried Chicken, corn, biscuits

I also made the yummiest desert. This is from the Paula Dean Ladies and Sons cookbook; Milky Way Cake. Yes, it is as dangerous as it sounds. While it looks like a lot of work, the results are definitely worth it! Unfortunately, the kids got in to it before I could take a picture.

Milky Way Cake

8 (1 3/4 ounce) Milky Way bars
1 1/2 cups butter
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, well beaten
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 cup chopped pecans
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Frosting Recipe:
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup marshmallow cream
1/2 cup butter (1 - stick)
6 ounces chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 325.

Grease three 9-in. cake pans and dust them with confectioner's sugar. To make the cake, melt the Milky Way bars with 1 stick of butter. Remove from heat and let cool. Cream the remaining 2 sticks of butter with the granulated sugar. Add the beaten eggs and the cooled chocolate mixture. Sift the flour and the baking soda together. Alternately add the flour and buttermilk to the batter, blending well. Add the nuts and vanilla. Divide the batter among the prepared pans and bake for 30-40 minute or until the cake is firm to the touch. Cool for 5 minutes, remove from the pans and place on cooling racks.

While the cake cools prepare the icing. Combine the sugar and milk in a heavy saucepan. Cook to the soft-ball stage (234 degrees on a candy thermometer). Remove the pan from the heat and add the marshmallow cream, butter and chocolate chips, stirring until melted. Add the pecans. When the cake has cooled completely, frost each layer, sides and top of the Milky Way Cake.

For more great recipes and menu plans, check out I am an Organizing Junkie!


Comments

MyLinda said…
Wow that cake sounds delicious!!

Visiting from SITS.
Lisa Anne said…
I use to plan out dinners like thise. I just couldn't come up with enough creative simple dishes. I so need to get back into this habit. How wonderful is breakfast for dinner? I love that!!
Anonymous said…
I'm glad you liked the recipe! I'm going to try this in the future.
Sera said…
Maybe it's a good thing you didn't post a picture. I already feel about 3 pounds that just accumulated on my butt reading the recipe, and the picture would have forced me to go to the grocery store IMMEDIATELY to get ingredients I don't have. I love that you posted about your menu plan for the week. I'm trying to get back into that myself.
Kim said…
glad to hear you made the milky way cake. we loved it at our house and it is being requested again.