Christmas Ornament Wreath


It's official...I've got crafts on my brain right now.
I knew this would happen if I kept hanging around the blog world.  I just didn't expect it to hit me so hard.  I woke up this morning with wreaths on mind.  Not just ANY old wreath, mind you.  I wanted one in particular.  And I knew I was going to have to make it.


I saw this on a blog last year and thought it was cute.  What happened in the last 12 months to make me decide I wanted to do these myself can only be described as hormones erm, delusions of grandeur  extreme boredom with the football season :)


So I went in search of supplies.

  • Jackpot at Big Lots- big tubs of shatterproof ornaments for $5.00. 
  • Glue gun- check.  I even had the glue sticks this time.
  • Big Christmas Ribbon- bottom of the decorations box from last year.
  • Wire hanger- uh oh.  I didn't have a single wire hanger in my house.  And wouldn't you know it was a Sunday and there arent' any open dry cleaners around here... so what's a wannabe crafter to do?  Call mom!  Luckily she had a few lying around.  And to get them, all I had to do was to promise to make her a wreath, too. 

So to make this, all you do is bend the wire hanger in to a circle.  Un-twist the area where the two ends meet so you can string the ornaments on.  Now take your glue gun and pop the tops off the ornaments- put a dab of glue on the top and place the little cap back on.  This will help secure the ornament so it doesn't fall off as you are threading it on the wire.

     
    Now thread.  And thread.  And thread.
     


    Every so often use a smaller ornament to help fill in the gaps.  The wire will look fairly bare as you are threading.  This is normal.  Just pile on the ornaments- the more the merrier.

    Every once in awhile have your daughter hold the wreath up to play with the positioning of the ornaments and to get an idea of how many more you will need to add. Smile when she tells you that you need more.  Sigh.  She's right... Add more, and more and more...
     

    When you are finally pleased with the fullness of your wreath, twist the wire back together and secure with a small piece of florist wire.  You will be able to cover this up with your bow when you are done.

     

    Add your bow.  Stand back and admire your handiwork!



    Comments

    CarlaSue said…
    Cute! My door is red so I think I`ll make mine with multi-colored ornaments so it will show from the street. Thanx for the idear!
    Nony the Slob said…
    I love this idea! Thanks for sharing.
    Unknown said…
    Hi Donna!

    What a great project! I love the way the finished wreath looks with all the different textured balls. Hi from a SITS Sista!
    Mrs. Jones said…
    Hi Donna! Can you tell I'm behind on my Facebook messages? Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Thanks for the tag.

    I love your blog, and this is such a clever idea. I might have to try it.

    It's so good to see you again!

    ~Heather
    how cute! i love this diy idea!
    stopping by from sits to say hi!

    have a sweet day!
    justyna
    Dumb Mom said…
    I've been thinking about doing some of these...not sure if my hands full of thumbs are ready for such a thing, though?!
    Love it. I'm running out to the store to buy some ornaments right now! :)