Home Made WFMW: Carpet Deodorizer





The best way to keep a carpet smelling fresh is to not have kids or dogs vacuum it frequently. I'm not a big fan of the heavily perfumed carpet deodorizers that are on the market. They are too "perfumey" for me. All the chemicals in them don't do much for me, either. I prefer to use plain old baking soda to do the job. I keep a shaker jar full of scented baking soda to sprinkle when the mood strikes.



All you need is a box of baking soda and some essential oils. I generally add about 10 drops per box, though you can certainly add more or less to suit your preferences. I like the scent of lavender, so that is what I usually add to my mixes. Just combine the ingredients in your jar and shake,shake,shake, shake, shake til it's thoroughly mixed.

*Hint* Use a piece of plastic wrap to keep it from going all over the place while you mix it up.

To use, sprinkle liberally over carpet and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes. Vacuum completely.

If you live in a humid climate like I do, you may want to keep a piece of plastic wrap over the opening of the jar between uses to minimize clumping.

Cost Savings:
Baking soda 50 cents/box
Essential Oil for scent less than 5 cents
Total 55 cents per refill

Compare it to commercial brand at $2.00/box



This post is linked to We are THAT Family
And Somewhat Simple

Comments

Wendy said…
Okay, I think I'm going to have to give this one a try. My husband is always complaining about the smell of dog in our house. Thanks for the idea!
Anonymous said…
As a mom of 4 boys this is right up my alley!!! Can't wait to try it :) Thanks so much for the idea!
Lisa said…
Going to try this to get rid of the doggie odor!