This is a fast, easy and very flavorful whole meal soup. Pair it with a nice loaf of bread or some tortillas. Yummy.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (divide in half)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 pound ground sirloin beef
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 carrot, cut into rounds (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 serrano chile, whole
- 1 potato, skin on, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 2 zucchini, diced (about 1 cup)- yellow squash would also be a good choice.
In a medium bowl, mix together half the onion, rice, cilantro, ground meat, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Shape the meat mixture into 20 to 22 (1-inch) meatballs and set aside.
In a heavy large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Combine the carrots, whole serrano chile, potato, tomato paste, and vegetable stock in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the meatballs and zucchini and simmer on low heat until the meatballs are cooked through, about 20 minutes. When you first add the meatballs, stir gently to keep them from breaking apart.
Season the soup with salt and pepper, to taste. Top with a little crumbled queso fresco and chopped cilantro.
This post is linked to: