Greener Cleaning Part 1: Homemade Soft Scrub

I've started experimenting again with some homemade cleaners in an effort to use fewer chemicals and reduce costs.  Many of the recipes I've run across have been rather disappointing.  No matter how cheap it is, if it doesn't work, I'm not going to use it.  
This recipe, however, does work well for me.  Chances are, you've got all the ingredients sitting in your kitchen right this minute.  Are you ready for the list?  Here it is.
  • Liquid dish soap
  • Baking soda
That's it.
To make your homemade version take 1/2 cup of baking soda and mix in enough dish soap to make a creamy, frosting like texture.  If you want, add in a few drops of essential oil to scent.   This mix scrubs well, but rinses easily.  You can easily adjust the proportions if you prefer a thinner or thicker mix.  

For my experiment, I used some 7th Generation Free and Clear Dish Soap.  I added a couple drops of tea tree oil just to help scent it, but it  really isn't necessary.  Store in a recycled squeeze bottle ( I used an old ketchup bottle.)

Happy cleaning.



Comments