Menu Plan Monday and Spanish Rice Recipe for your rice cooker


Yummy, yummy!
 


I love Mexican Food.  Good Mexican food is not easy to come by here in North Georgia.  Thankfully, after living in San Diego for so many years, I did pick up a trick or two to making my own.

Spanish Rice is a staple at my house.  My rice cooker makes it especially easy to do. Here is what you need:


Rice Cooker Spanish Rice

3 Cups White Rice, uncooked, rinsed and drained.
2 Tablespoons oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons Adobo Seasoning
Water or Chicken broth





Heat up the oil in your rice cooker.  On mine, I use the "Steam" setting to get the pot hot.  Place rice in your cooker and "fry" the rice slightly (the rice will change from a translucent white to a more opaque white).  This is an important step- if your rice cooker won't let you heat oil, then you can pre-fry the rice in a skillet. 

Add your onion to the "frying" rice and cook until the onions become transparent.  Add your garlic and cook it slightly. 

Add your tomatoes, juice included to the pot.  If you have fresh tomatoes, you can use those instead. Add the Adobo seasoning.  Adobo is a brand name.  If you can't find it, you can just add salt and pepper to your pot instead.

Now, the liquid.  Every rice cooker is a little bit different.  Some require a 1:1 rice/water ratio.  Mine has lines inside the pot.  Follow the directions for your machine to make 3 cups of rice.  I prefer to use chicken broth, but you can use plain water if you prefer. I sometimes mix Knorr Suiza (a chicken flavored bullion) to the water if I am out of chicken broth.  I just prefer the extra flavor the rice takes on.
Close up your cooker and hit the "White Rice" button or what ever setting you have on your machine.  About half way through the cooking time, open the top and give everything a good stir to keep the tomatoes from burning.

That's it.  I told you it was easy.  Yum!


Bad pictire of the ingredients.  Sorry!

Now, my menu plan for the week:

Carne Asada and Spanish Rice
Pollo (chicken) Bowls  -Made with the left over Spanish Rice
Chicken Enchiladas
Shepards Pie with green salad
Stuffed Bell Peppers with salad
Chicken Noodle Soup
Bruschetta chicken


I'll be sharing this weeks recipes at:


 
 
 

Comments