Mexican Lasagna


Walking through Aldi's the other day, I saw a frozen meal in their aisles that sounded yummy. It was also one of those things that I knew I could adapt and make myself. Mexican Lasagna. Layers of noodles, refried beans, seasoned beef and cheese with a spicy red sauce. Yummy.  Here is my version.

My choice of ingredients




Mexican Lasagna

1 pound ground beef
1/2 small onion, chopped
1/2 package of taco seasoning (mild or spicy depending on your taste)
1 clove of minced garlic (I used the bottled equivalent )
1 1/2 Cups refried beans (either homemade or canned- if using canned, you may want to thin slightly with chicken broth)
1 small can red enchilada sauce, divided.
6 Lasagna noodles
1 1/2 Cups shredded cheese ( I used a Mexican mix of Cheddar and Monterey Jack), divided.

Cook Lasagna noodles as directed on package.  Set aside.  Brown your ground beef with the onion and garlic.  Drain fat.  Add half a package of the taco seasoning and 1/4 cup water.  Simmer for about 5 minutes.

Spray 11x7 pan with cooking spray. 

Coat bottom of pan with 1/4 cup enchilada sauce.  Layer 3 noodles along the bottom.  Carefully spread half of the refried beans on top of the noodles.*  Layer 1/2 of the meat mixture and approximately 1/2 cup of cheese and another 1/4 cup sauce.  Repeat layering with remaining noodles and beans and meat.


Top with remaining cheese and Enchilada Sauce. 


Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes, or until heated thoroughly.   Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.  Makes 6 servings.

*Thinning the refried beans will help them spread on the noodles without ripping them apart. 




This is an easy recipe to adapt.  Use ground turkey instead of ground beef.  Substitute any type of cheese you prefer.  If you dont' want to use packaged taco seasoning, swap it out for salt, pepper and a bit of red pepper flakes.  Use homemade enchilada sauce if you prefer.  Have fun with  your swaps.

I'll be sharing this recipe over at:













http://donnas-dayz.blogspot.com/2011/03/mexican-lasagna.html




Comments

Totally craving this now!
Sachiko said…
Oh, my...my husband will love this! Thank you for linking up to my party!
This looks awesome! I will have to try it!

Susan www.ugogrrl.com
ZiggyFlo said…
My daughter & SIL love Mexian food. I passed this receipe on to her.